Sunday, June 8, 2014

AN UNUSUAL SKILL SET









It seems like just yesterday that I was wondering how and where I would find gas. Come to think about it, it was yesterday. But I am now in the land of milk and honey and fuel.
At Our  First "Hotel"  in Uzbekistan contemplating no gas
Tom and I left Khiva 3 days ago (Friday) and rode to Bukhara. The hotel in Khiva had a 17 year old fixer who was able to score 34 liters of 80 octane fuel for $50. That is a deal. The only rub was that the guy selling the fuel needed the containers back, so we would have to fill up our machines fast.

Over the years I have acquired some skills, one of which is knowing how to filch gas. So I cut the bottom out of a water bottle to make a funnel. Then I fetched my trusty siphon hose. Yes kids, I carry a siphon hose. What juvenile delinquent type of person would not know how to use a siphon hose?  I actually learned how to use the siphon hose from Father Willard Dressell, SJ at Creighton Prep when I was about 17. Father Dressell taught physics; and, as a part of the well rounded curriculum of a Jesuit education, all his physics students were required to understand and apply the physical principals necessary to siphon gas. Thus, I have basically the same skill set as the Pope. It is comforting to know that the spiritual leader of the Western world also knows how to steal gas from a 1969 Yamaha Big Bear 250.
Notice the squat technique with the siphon hose
 
I think the headlamp adds to the drama
Tom's extra supply for the ride to Bukhara
 
Tom and I set about siphoning off gas from the containers so as not to waste a drop. Then when we got the container down to a weight we could handle, we switched to our funnel and filled the yellow Rotopax container faster.
Road Hazard - Khiva - why we do not ride at night

I do not know how many of you recall, but the hotel in Istanbul used my 1.5 gallon Kolpin container and lost it. So they replaced it with a 2 gallon Rotopax, which is not supposed to fit on my Kolpin bracket. But it does because I made it fit. Also, they could not find the gas container. But they did find a diesel container. Since I am the only one who ever fills the tank it does not matter and no mistakes are made. I am so happy I have my extra fuel system, even if it looks a bit strange. Tom and I have made good use of it.
 

You will notice in the pictures that Tom has the deluxe spare fuel system consisting of 2.25 liter Coke bottles. Tom just filled those whenever he could, stuffed them in his camel back, and would then ride until his tank could handle the extra fuel.
First Yurt on Road to Bukhara

 
100 km outside of Bukhara in terrible heat
 
We made it to Bukhara on Friday evening and found a really good hotel, except it had no internet. We also just parked the bikes outside on the street. Mine still had the dry bag and fuel on it. We had no fear of someone stealing anything. There had to be 8 cops at the intersection. And the Uzbeks are taught as toddlers not to touch other people’s things. But the bikes were a big hit, and lots of locals took pictures.

Bukhara is hot. I mean 100+ degrees hot. We slept all Saturday and finally went out about 7. Both of us are looking forward to the mountains of Tajikistan and some cooler weather. Fuel in Bukhara turned out to be no problem. The husband of the owner is the local manager of all the fuel stations. So they gave us a little drawing leading us to a station that sold 91 octane.

But, I must stay in Uzbekistan until the 14th because that is when my Tajik visa starts. So I am going to explore Samarkand and work on my Russian.

I am now in slow travel mode. That means ride 300 km, then stay a couple days. Then ride 200 km and stay a day or two. I hope to be able to get my GoPro back up and running here. Today the scenery was gloriously boring. There were some stretches of bad road, but it was no Kazakhstan.
 
Life is good.
 


You are here

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment