Saturday, March 1, 2014

A TALE OF FIVE VISAS














I have postponed writing this part of the blog until I had my passport safely back in my hands. It is important for people to know how to get visas for such a trip, and that generalizations about the process, length of visa, length of stay, cost, and providers are useless.

So this is what I did. I now have in my grimy little fist a US passport with a 3 year multi entry Russian Federation visa, good for up to 183 days in country.  They issued it  “действительна без фотографии” (“valid without photo”).  I am so happy I have been taking Russian for the past 7 months. I would have been completely freaked out (I do not know how to say that in Russian) if I had opened the passport and seen that no photo was embedded in the Russian visa.

Anyway, I sent my passport to Travisa in Washington DC back in November. This is their contact information. Travisa 1731 21st. St. NW  Washington, DC 20009 Phone: (202) 463-6166 Fax: (202) 293-1112 Business Hours: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. https://www.travisa.com/.

I originally decided to use Travisa because they are the portal for Azerbaijan Visas in the USA. I actually ended up getting my Azerbaijan visa over the internet using an agency in Kazahkstan called Stan Tours. But that is another part of the story.

The deal with the Russian visa is that they will not even look at an application if the date of first entry is more than 6 months in the future. My first date of entry was shown as June 1,so it got sent back. Then it sat for couple of weeks. But I got my 1st visa for Christmas. And I wanted the Russian visa first because I figured I could get to Mongolia across Russia and have a great trip even if other visas did not come through. It also worked well because it showed the next countries that Russia had cleared me – and given me this great visa. The total cost including agency fees was about $300, but it was not overwhelming for what I got. 
Oh I forgot to tell you. Making out the Russian visa application form is time consuming. The technical legal term for it is “sonofabitch”. But they wanted to know everywhere I had been in the past 10 years, and when. And for me that is a lot of work.

My minder at Travisa was Shavkat Safaev, but he has since moved on. My case was taken over by Diara Calhoun. She is a sweetheart and got the Tajikistan visa for me.

Moving on. Kazakhstan was next. It went rapidly. Once again I received a multiple entry visa for 30 days each visit good until June 20, 2016. Cost was about $250 including the agency fee. In theory the cost is $160 if you do it yourself. But use the agency. Otherwise you will end up having your passport in transit.

The way I did it was as one visa was being considered I was doing the paperwork for the next. Then when Travisa got my passport back the application for the next country was in the office. Travisa then did an immediate turn around and sent it on to the next embassy.

All the time this is going on I am trying to figure out how to get a Turkmenistan visa. Let me say right now, I do not have a Turkmen visa yet. This is the soft underbelly of my official paperwork. Turkmenistan is pretty tightly regulated. I would have needed a tourist visa. But that means I have to be on a tour. And I do not know when I will arrive. So Plan A is to apply for a transit visa in Baku, Azerbaijan. Then I take the boat to Turkmenbashi and tear across in Turkmenistan in 5 days, because that is the length of the visa. Stress?

But I do have an Uzbekistan Visa. Travisa did that one too. I forget the cost, but it was in the $200 range. I have a 3 entry visa, each good for 30 days. You will notice that I always get multiple entry. Well almost always. But I think it is worth it to be able to go back if things get dicey down the road. I do not want to be in position where I have to go on; and I want options. 

Uzbekistan went through fast.

While I was doing all this I was still stymied on the Azerbaijan visa. The website for Azerbaijan in the USA shows what appears to be a mandatory system for Americans. It isn’t.  I made a reservation at a hostel in Baku.
Jeyhun Shahbazov
General Manager 
Guest House Inn & Hostel
16/21 Azadlig ave.
Baku, Azerbaijan. 
Tel.: +99412 493 41 67
Fax: +99412 493 59 12
Mob:+99450 626 21 73

Then I contacted Stan Tours. David Berghof , david@stantours.com
STANtours Almaty / Ashgabat

They are good and efficient, but payment was by Western Union, $115. I needed an invitation not just the hotel. But it worked out. I got my visa by email. It comes in pdf or similar format and you print it out in color yourself. It took about 8 days.

And that brings us to Tajikistan. I thought “this cannot be so hard” as I already had four visas and things were going well time wise. Tajikistan took a while. I need what is called a GBAO permit to travel on the Pamir Highway. The Tajiks also wanted a separate letter with my itinerary and purpose. But it took about four weeks to get it all sorted out. Diara at Travisa was very patient during the process. I think the application was rejected twice and the passport sent back. But I finally got it. And I got the whole 45 days, the maximum permitted.
I had read other traveler tales of the Tajik visa. They went to the consulate in Istanbul and had the visa plus GBAO permit in an hour. So, there is a plan B. My fear was that I would get to Istanbul and not be able to get the visa. 

And just for information – not part of the five visas – for US citizens you get a Turkish visa over the  internet ($20) and it is instantaneous, no photo needed. Mongolia gives US citizens entry without a visa for 90 days.

Advice? Well, always search the official websites for each country. There is a lot of misinformation out there. The rules are different for each country and each nationality applying for a visa. And it is going to cost you money. That is just the way things are.
Fritz

1 comment:

  1. Friiiiitz, have a great trip!!!! God protect you throughout your way. Grasi and Rodrigo (Brasil)

    ReplyDelete