Friday, March 28, 2014

THE FULL IRISH












I have great news. Neither Rick not I have been killed driving on the left hand side of the road. Rick is a natural at this. He is left handed and Ireland seems to be his natural habitat.

 


Well, enough chit chat. The bikes are running and my bike needs some work yet. The guy who owned it before me was an engineer of some sort. So there are wires running everywhere. It will be necessary to clip a few because I think they are draining the battery. I love problems money can solve.

 

My trip to Kinsdale was grueling. There was no leg that was bad. But I got to Shannon at 5:45 am, and was only able to get a bus at 8:50. So it was another 4 hours to Kinsdale, just south of Cork. I was met by Mrs. Murphy, the owner of the B&B we are stating at. As I was getting my 120 lbs of luggage off the bus it started to rain ice. Miserable. The weather has been cold with itermitant showers. However, the gear works pretty well and both of us are dry.

 

The B&B is called Sunrise B&B, Kilcawha, Kinsale, Co. Cork. Phone  + 021 4772431. We pay 35 Euros a night each (70 together) for a really nice big room, and great breakfast. The bikes are safe here too. Lots of parking.

 


I had a bit of a problem with my luggage. TSA searched it and confiscated my Coleman camp stove as contraband. There had been no fuel in it for years and I dried it out for weeks before packing. Anyway it is gone. But they also took the instructions for my panniers. So I was able to get new material from Roger at Caribou Cases in pdf. I was completely freaked because I thought TSA had also taken some of the parts. I lucked out; and it was all there.

 
 


My computer is dying so I have to cut this short. Next post will be Motofeirme ( moto farm in Irish) featuring Martin Hurley the proprietor.

1 comment:

  1. Leo please note , while you are doing tax returns, and I am “working to pay My Uncle Sam, two bruthas or on the dole, Rick is riding with the Obamacare Colors, Fritz is collecting Farm subsidies while I am paying his freight

    (Rick Fritz, family dinner here tomorrow at 4:30 so if you want to call on one of those new fangled deals like Skype or Apple Face time, we R here for TJ’s B/D and some teriaki roast on the grill 75 here tomorrow)


    They have been preparing for it for years, Fritz at least, Rick by countless hours of driving his scooter to Caseys for coffee if you will recall Fritz has already done Omaha to Tierra Del Fuego here is the blog http://sampsonsouthbound.blogspot.com/ the tip tip of South America Passenger ferry to Antactica kind of like Omaha this winter

    here is a snip it


    "It is 14955 miles from Buchanan’s BP at 82nd and Dodge in Omaha to the Yakush Hostel in downtown Ushuaia Argentina at the tip of South America, plus a few air miles between Panama City and Bogotá. Ushuaia is the end of the road, in all respects. In theory one can get across the Beagle Channel to Puerto William Chile to go further south. That’s the theory. But there is no ferry to take vehicles. Anyway – we made it to the end of the continent, the end of the island, and the end of the road. I am tired and cold, but not ready to come home. I will warm up on my way to Buenos Aires and give another report."





    ReplyDelete