Sunday, March 23, 2014

Вы говорите по-русски? [Can you speak Russian?]




For the past seven months I have been studying Russian. Russian is the lingua franca of Eastern Europe and Central Asia. After searching around I concluded that only the University of Nebraska at Omaha had a class that met my time schedule and was affordable. As it turns out I was very lucky indeed.
 
I had purchased some Russian language instruction CDs to listen to whilst on the treadmill doing the gym thing. But when I showed up at class I found that I could not differentiate the subtle sounds present in much of the language. So I sat right up front and tried as best I could to catch the endings. It was a humbling experience as I desperately tried to match spoken sounds to the Cyrillic alphabet I was learning simultaneously. 
Professor Novikov, noted author and adventurer Fritz, and best Russian student ever Harrison

After a week I concluded that my wife and children might, just might, be correct in their assessment, which they had been hammering at me for the last five years. “Dad – you need  hearing aids”. Oh the devastation! The ultimate symbol of geezer hood. The dreaded hearing aid.
So I went to the audiologist to see if indeed that was the problem. It was. Apparently I have been a bit hard on the ears over my life. And I was pretty deaf in the left ear, and getting there fast in the right ear. The hearing limitation would make it very difficult to learn Russian without some enhancement.
 
The short version is this: I bought hearing aids, and my Russian professor, Tatyana Novikov, was very supportive and understanding. I must have asked her to repeat words, sentences and phrases hundreds of times. And she did it so I could learn. 
 
I should also note that Professor Novikov is an excellent teacher. When the class first started out we had about 27 people signed up. After about 2 classes I concluded that Professor Novikov had been teaching Russian to students with no Slavic language background for a long time. Methodically and patiently she led us through the course. I learn languages very rapidly (when I can hear). Russian is difficult. In fact, I was longing for the good old days of Caesar’s Gaelic Wars. At least I could read the alphabet. 
 
I also got lucky and found a tutor. My tutor is Ksenya Feyordova, a 16 year old Russian exchange student at Westside High School. Every Tuesday or Thursday I would spend an hour or so with her just reading aloud or going over numbers, colors, and some of the grammar. It was very helpful because I got the one on one attention I needed due to my hearing problem. Ksenya is from Novgorad; and if time and circumstances permit I would like to visit her home on this trip. 
 
I am far from fluent in Russian, but I know a lot more than I did seven months ago. On my last trip I decided that I would spend time building my Spanish language skills. My logic was and is that if I can speak the language I can always find the parts and someone to fix the motorcycle. But if my skills are all mechanical, I cannot even ask directions. Besides, I need to be able to read road signs, menus, and official notices in Russian on this trip. So that means learning the Cyrillic alphabet at a minimum.
 
The best part about learning Russian at UNO is that I was a 63 year old deaf guy slugging my way through with 19 year olds on the same journey. My classmates were a bit taken aback at first because I was far and away much older than any of them. And I wished I had their spongy brains to absorb all the new language skills. But I got to know some of them very well and I count them among my friends. I invited the whole class to my going away party. 
 
What I also learned is that it is difficult to learn a new language when one is old. I would say anytime a person is over 40 she is going to have a tough time. And it does not matter if the person already speaks a couple languages. I just do not think the mature brain absorbs the sounds and vocabulary as rapidly as a youthful brain. I do not know if this type of brain exercise staves off dementia, but it cannot hurt. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment