Friday, April 4, 2014

MotoFeirme


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

There a several ways to obtain a motorcycle to make this trip. The direct route is to buy one in the USA and have it shipped to Ireland, or wherever the start point is. Of course, a short excursion might be done with a rental. But I found a way to buy a used bike in Ireland. When I was cruising on ADV Rider website a couple years ago I saw a post by a guy called WheatWhacker, who ultimately turned out to be Martin Hurley.

 

Martin had inherited a piece of land in Ireland and moved back from San Francisco. He found that foreigners could buy and register bikes in Ireland. So he helped out a couple of guys for no gain, but has now turned the deal into a real business venture.

 

The way it works is that the budding adventure rider goes on line to DoneDeal.ie and finds a bike that looks like it meets the requirements. Then Martin goes out and scouts the deal for a fee.  If the bike looks like it is as represented the buyer gives Martin the money and he closes the deal. If the bike is not good, Martin passes on it and reports back. Martin calls the place MotoFeirme, which is a combination of Spanish for motorbike and Gaelic for farm.

 

Both Rick and me bought our machines through Martin. They have Irish titles and registration. The only glitch seems to be insurance. We bought EU in insurance through a guy in Bulgaria. Irish companies only seem interested in insuring residents.

 

When I showed up Rick had already been in Kinsale a couple days. I still had a lot to do on the bike. It took 2 days to prep the bike. So I hurried along and by Sunday morning we were ready to roll.

 

I made it 200 yards before I dumped the bike. The road into the B & B was a dirt track and I had been riding it for days. But when I came up on Sunday morning there was a small ridge between the tire tracks. And in this instance it was wet grass. So it dumped me. I had the wind knocked out of me and was in pain, but I could not believe the ride was over before it began.

 

We got the bike up and went to Martins. Then I hoisted myself into the saddle and we rode to Molls Gap in the Ring of Kerry. By 3 pm I was really hurting so we pulled into Killarney.

 

When I got up on Monday the 31st  there was no way I could ride. For those of you who criticize European medicine this will be a heart breaking story.  I went to Killarney Medical Center and saw Dr. Michael O’Doherty. They asked 3 questions. My name, age, and nature of complaint. Fifteen minutes later I saw the Dr. He examined me, no x-rays, EKG, MRI or even a nurse. And with Irish precision of language he announced that I had no broken ribs but had badly pulled some muscles and I would hurt! So he said he would treat the pain with the most powerful stuff I could tolerate and prescribed 3 medicines. Cost – Euros 50 for the Dr. and Euros 20 for the pain. I was in an out in less than and hour, prescription included.

 


I spent Monday just resting, and was ready to ride on Tuesday. We rode in good weather (which means not raining in Ireland) to  Williamsferry House  in Nenagh. www.williamsferry.com. It was very nice, and not a tourist place at all.

 

So Wednesday we pushed to Northern Ireland. It was a miserable ride. Rain and cold.  It was a stupid plan to go north, but here we are . We made it in by 5, and we were the only ones in the hostel, Humphrey’s at Rathmore in Larne.

 

On Thursday we took the ferry to Scotland. The weather is not improved. Both Rick and I had some problems with the bikes. Rick’s are minor. Mine are a bit more expensive because somehow my front brake disc has become warped. So I am waiting to get my bike out of the shop at Motorrad Central in Dalkeith, just outside of Edinburgh. Tony Philipson is the service manager and got me in, even though the place is packed. The Scots are such fine people. The weather is crap and I now understand why they have immigrated to the four corners of the earth.  www.motorradcentral.com  .

 
 


We are at the Caledonia Backpacker Hostel right on Princess Street. So it is cheap and well located.

 

Hopefully the bike is ready on Saturday afternoon and we hit the road to warmer weather on Sunday.

 
That’s all folks.  Next post will be the sunny south of England.

5 comments:

  1. The wind is at your back pal. Sunny England? don't you think your a little old laddie to believe in leprechauns! Good luck, Bob E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully all your bad luck has been used up already Fritz. Smooth sailing from here on in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. Great story so far. What an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fritz, you better come back in one piece! Be safe, ride hard, and live free! Miss you bud!

    ReplyDelete