Monday, May 26, 2014

TBILISI, GEORGIA









I have made it to Tbilisi, Georgia in anticipation of my next border crossing into Azerbaijan. It turns out that I have been moving a little faster than I originally planned. So my Azerbaijan visa has a first entry date of May 28; and I hope to make it on that date.

I have been staying with my friend Derek Welch in Tbilisi. I worked with Derek for 4 plus years, and he is now living here. It has been nice to be in a real apartment for a while.

I also met up with Tom Bosman from Belgium while here. Tom is traveling the same route as I am, but our visas are now about 4 days apart. We do not seem to be able to get our trips synchronized to travel together. Anyway, Tom and Derek and I had dinner together on Saturday at a Georgian food restaurant, and ate the mixed kebob over the charcoal grill at the table.
Derek on the left, Tom on the right, Kebob in the Middle
 
Today, Monday the 26th, is Independence Day in Georgia. So Derek and I went down to Liberty Square to watch the festivities. I did the full tourist today and saw all the major sights, that is the old walls, old fort, old church, old town. I have done the “old stuff” before in just about every location. It gets a bit “old”, but I figure I have come a long way and should at least take a look.

 



Georgia is a bit different because it has a unique language and alphabet. Despite being part of the former USSR and the birthplace of Josef Stalin it has retained its very distinctive culture and flavor. When I first arrived and saw the signs it looked like something written in “Elfish”. But English is widely spoken as well as Russian. So when I got to Tbilisi with no gps I was still able to find Derek’s place with just a couple of stops to question the locals.
My plan  is to leave on Wednesday the 28th and drive to Baku. I have received reports that the police in Azerbaijan will be shaking me down for “traffic offenses” along the way. So I have been practicing my talking points and being patient so that the fines are reduced. Or they just give up and let me go because it is taking too much time. I am not optimistic. But I will consider the shakedown just a cost of transit and bear it. Really no other choice.
 
This may be the last post for a while because I do not know what the internet will be like in Baku, and I only have a 5 day visa for Turkmenistan. So I will be moving right along.

No comments:

Post a Comment